Thursday 6 November 2014

Interview 1

WOW!

Today I went to conduct my first interview that I would use in my new inquiry, "Tap Dance training: Are current methods in the UK preparing the dancers of today for tomorrow’s stages?"
 
 
Well, I didn't actually ask any questions.
I didn't really give much insight into my chosen topic.
I didn't really speak much at all!

I just let this lady talk.

... and I'm so glad I did!!!


There are so many things that she brought up that I had not even considered. It had not even crossed my mind that it may also be the teachers holding students back because of themselves, not because of outside influences or limitations.
I had thought of the way to ask questions, and had actually formulated them to ask at each interview. However, having not asked any questions and had all of this extra information thrown at me, it's clear that these questions need tweaking somewhat. I can also see that there is more than one way I can look at this inquiry, and that I need to re-look at what I want this to achieve, both immediately and in time as the way I conduct this could affect a good many people.
I did not intend to name and shame people in this inquiry: I still don't. But I feel as though I am able to put some of the events and anecdotes into it, as long as I feel it adds something to my inquiry, and is not used with malice.

Well, time to think fast!!!

1 comment:

  1. Jess I really liked this blog - in order to gain knowledge and understanding from practitioner research - listening is key - your is a complex topic with subquestions about how tap is taught, the meaning of qualifications (perhaps), international attributes and competences, audience expectations etc. In terms of the data - follow the rules - consider what is public knowledge and what is not - and use an 'academic' neutrality in considering and trying to understand the issues/concerns you have raised.

    ReplyDelete