Monday 2 March 2015

M3 - Stark Realisation

So my last couple of weeks have been less about actually looking into my topic of inquiry and more setting up meetings and interviews and getting the resources and equipment needed for the next part of my inquiry, so it wasn't until last night when my brain got switched back onto the subject.

Having had a day of holding auditions in Kent for one of the places I work, myself and the lady who runs the organisation walked through her front door to her son who seemed very please with himself. Her son, Kai, is 12 and told us he had spent his day working on a step the entire day (a double wing on one foot for those of you who understand tap terminology, for those of you who don't IT'S HARD!) and that by the end, he had accomplished it. Now, neither I, nor his mother can do this step, and although the kid is really quite ridiculously good, a little bit of doubt had set, so in the end we got him to get his tap shoes out.

Took a couple more attempts than he'd planned, but yes, he did it!

It made me think. This is a step that doesn't appear anywhere in any of the UK's syllabi. A single wing does, and the explanation of the double is easy enough, just nobody is asked to try it! If a twelve year old can do it, because he is willing to try, why do we not offer this to everybody?


This was not the only step that Kai gave me last night. I have been trying to sort out classes for next term in this certain workplace, and myself and the rest of the teachers have put together a list of steps to work from, and are trying to come up with more, as our seniors have nearly exhausted our current repertory and there are only so many times that we can go elsewhere for inspiration, or so much time we have to explore by ourselves in a studio, or sometimes it is simply a fact of we have got to a point where our brain blocks itself off. This is where children and the next generations come in yet again.

People have no option but to use what we provide them with, but it takes a certain mind set to be able to explore. Within a syllabus, people are taught that this exercise is right, or wrong, with very little in between. They are also taught, "At this standard you should do this, and once you have gotten to the end of the syllabus, there is nothing left for you!". This was something that Kai disproved to me last night. Kai, had taken a standard step (Shuffle Pick up - which is one of the syllabi's staple steps) and simply added things to it. Yes, within syllabi, this simple step is adorned with a few things here and there, and a few changes of leg etc, but not to the standard that Kai had shown last night. He had put thing together in a way that I never would have thought, and whilst I relished in the fact that this little human had done this, and grabbed a notepad to write these new fangled (for my eyes, somebody will have done them somewhere) steps down, to try them out myself (I failed abysmally might I just add, but I will work on them), I am a little scared, as I have known it happen to me at a slightly younger age, that there are many teachers who would look at his feet and tell him that "That's not a step in tap", purely because it does not arise in their known tap syllabus and it is not something they recognise.


This has gotten me back to me looking at my inquiry questions and making sure that they are truly what I wish to find out and who I need to be looking at to make a change, if possible. Sometimes it takes one person, no matter how old they are to make you sit back and re-evaluate.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica. I think points you raise in this post are very interesting indeed. During my training, we had two very different tap teachers. One tended to choreograph much of our show/performance work as well as teaching us the exercises for our tap exams. The other was very much a 'freestyle' tap teacher who would often scold me on being too 'syllabus based' in his lessons. Whilst I saw his point of view in that he was trying to encourage a different style with more freedom/expression, I couldn't help but feel a little annoyed in that without my knowledge of tap steps learnt from taking numerous syllabus-based exams, I wouldn't even have the tools needed to participate in his classes. A chicken and the egg scenario perhaps? What are your thoughts?

    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pip,

    I agree that the syllabus is a great starting point for all beginners, it is something that all can fall back on, and you are correct you do learn those steps when learning the syllabus, but I am relating to the fact that the syllabus may only really give one style, alike getting used to a teacher, you may be given the start of a step, and you could finish it without the teacher having to say anything. This is what I feel with syllabus: not that it doesn't teach you anything, but that it does not stress exploration as you are expected to execute it in a certain way to gain the marks to pass the exam.

    I am also lucky enough to teach both syllabus and non-syllabus work, and feel that although much of the footwork is the same (the same could be said for ballet classes) it does not need a syllabus to teach it. Yes, you may need a demonstration of a step and an explanation, followed by little practice (in some cases more), but with a syllabus, you do not have to think about only one step at a time, or even a few, you have, realistically about 10, and even when you have mastered them, you are held to an exam date before most will move on.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete