Thursday 26 March 2015

New York Public Library

So, I have found, during my inquiry, that there is very little literature on my chosen topic, tap dance. So I thought I would use my time wisely whilst I was in America and would go to the Public Library, having seen one previously near Bryant Park.
Deciding then that I didn't have time until the next day, I made my way to class at Broadway Dance Center and happened to meet someone whom I had only heard about from a friend within a conversation at the World Tap Championships in December last year!

I had told this young man about my intentions of going to the library, as he had spoken to me about some books, and he asked why I was going to the standard public library. He then told me of the Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center, and with that, that's where I was headed!

Having got there, I managed to look up the titles of books I wanted to research and found some, along with some DVDs I wished to watch; although there were not many, there were more than I could find in England! So I made my way over to the aisle where the tap dance books were, and had a hard time trying to locate their numbers. It was only when I saw them all, I realised why... Out of the entire collection of book they had, among the sea of ballet references and modern dance, and musical theatre... meet the tap collection.


Yes, that's it.
And the one book I had wanted to read, as it's date was after 2005 wasn't even there, somebody had checked it out earlier that day.

So, this resulted in my looking for DVDs.
They had a strange code and I couldn't seem to find them on the shelves, so I asked for help and I was told that I needed to fill out a form and go to the 3rd floor where someone would set me up on a monitor as I had to watch it there. However there was a little hiccough that I found when filling out the form... I didn't actually have a library card! However, small problem, and I'm now secretly quite excited that I own a NYPL card!

Taking my form up to the third floor, I had to remove my coat and bag and leave them in a cloakroom before entering the guarded room. But I found where to hand the form in and was left to watch the 2 films with my own set of controls so that I could play, pause, rewind and fast forward as I pleased. I have to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed my day, but I guess you'll have to wait for my literature review to know what I found!!!

3 comments:

  1. We''re glad you enjoyed your visit and discovered our archival video collection! Next time, go beyond books you can borrow and ask for the 400+ books and articles on tap in our research collection: http://goo.gl/NYCo8a. If you'd like more help, feel free to email us at dance at nypl dot org.

    Jerome Robbins Dance Division, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting experience - as far as library visits go! ;) I think I would definitely trade in the Derby University library for a NYC Performing Arts one! Unfortunate situation with the book you wanted to check out though. As all of the literature I have used has been written-text/word based, how have you found the analysis of actual footage and did you prefer it to books etc?

    Pip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again, Pip,

      I have to admit, I think I may be frequenting the library again if I ever make it back!
      I have to say, I found it really difficult. I had to keep rewinding the video and actually writing, word for word, what people had said as I couldn't analyse it straight from the screen. I actually did my analysis after I left the library. I should really have learnt from this, as I recorded all of my interviews, didn't take notes, so had to go back and re-write them all!!!

      Delete